CWRU | First Year

Start thinking about summer courses. Registration opens in April

Learning doesn’t have to go on break when summer arrives. Find out how you can start preparing for summer learning activities on and off campus.

CWRU summer courses

Case Western Reserve will offer nearly 100 classes in 28 departments, covering a wide selection of topics during summer session. Included are seven SAGES seminars and 10 faculty-led courses abroad (in New Zealand, Greece, Denmark, China, Botswana, Cuba, France and Germany).

Undergraduate tuition is half regular tuition.

Summer session courses span three, four, five, six or eight weeks:

  • May term: May 15 to June 2
  • 8-week session: June 5 to July 31
  • 5-week session: June 5 to July 7
  • 4-week session: June 5 to June 30
  • 6-week session: June 19 to July 31
  • 4-week session: July 10 to Aug. 4

Registration for summer courses begins Monday, April 3.

Start considering your summer plans, and learn more about summer session, including information on housing, registration and tuition at

Courses at another institution

Some students may choose to take a course or two over the summer at an institution other than CWRU.

If you are interested in taking advantage of this option, review and the Off-Campus Study Request Form by April 1. If you live in Cuyahoga County, please pay special attention to the specific residency restrictions listed on the Off-Campus Study Request Form. Download the form.

To complete the form, you must collect course information (usually a syllabus) for the course(s) that you are interested in taking and present it to the Academic Representative of the department in which you hope to earn transfer credit here at CWRU for review (e.g. credit for a physics course would need to be reviewed by the Physics Department). You can review the list of Academic Representatives to find contact information.

Most universities and colleges begin to post summer schedules in February and March – many may already be available. It is in your best interest to submit course information for review as soon as you are able to confirm the course offering(s) for the summer.

Please consult your Residential College Director or Dean Mason in the Office of Undergraduate Studies if you have any questions about the process.