CWRU | First Year

What you need to know when considering a course withdrawal

First-year students may withdraw from a course at any time during the semester, but no later than the last day of classes (Dec. 8 this semester). Any course for which a grade of W is assigned during the first two terms of enrollment (e.g. fall and spring semester of your first year at CWRU) will be deleted from the transcript.

Withdrawing from a course sooner rather than later can provide you with the opportunity to focus more on the courses you intend to complete. Whether it is your best option depends on a variety of factors, all of which you should discuss with the faculty member teaching the course and your academic advisor. You may also consult with the Office of Undergraduate Studies (the director of your residential college and/or Dean Michael Mason) if needed, to supplement the conversations you’ve had with your professor and advisor.

Before you withdraw from a course, take the time to reflect on the following questions:

  • Have you talked to your professor about where you stand in the course currently, your chances for improving and what strategies and resources you might utilize to help?
  • Have you taken advantage of support resources: professors’ office hours, tutoring through ESS, S.I. sessions, etc.?
  • Have you spoken with your advisor about how this withdrawal will impact your academic plans for next semester and beyond?

A student studies inside the Peter B. Lewis Building on the Case Western Reserve University Campus.

If you answered “no” to one or more of these questions, you should speak with the faculty member teaching the course and your academic advisor. It is critical that you make sure you are working with complete information when making enrollment decisions, especially decisions about course withdrawals.

If, after careful consideration, you decide that withdrawing is in your best interest, you may withdraw yourself using SIS (same process as dropping a course) unless the withdrawal will leave you with fewer than 12 hours. If you are dropping below 12 hours, you must complete a drop/add form in consultation with your first-year coordinator or a dean in the Office of Undergraduate Studies.

Bear in mind that you must earn nine credit hours and a 2.000 GPA to remain in good academic standing.

You should review the academic standing regulations if you have questions about the consequences of not meeting the criteria for good academic standing.

You must also remain in good academic standing to be eligible for most CWRU scholarships. View the scholarship retention criteria here.

Generally, international students and varsity athletes who are currently in season must be actively enrolled in 12 credit hours to satisfy visa or eligibility requirements. Questions about this can be directed to International Student Services or the Department of Athletics for further clarification.